Friday, March 5, 2010

Work in Progress - Simplicity 4586

I worked on the blouse today.  Obviously, the sleeves need to be set in and the buttonholes and buttons sewn on.

This has been a simple project so far.  The only part that wasn't plain vanilla sewing was attaching the straight collar onto the curved back neck edge.  And that wasn't hard, at all.  Using small scissors, I made a few short clips on the neck edge and it fell into place.  Easy.

When cutting the fabric, though, I did stress over the large swirls and where to have them placed (or not placed).  I finally realized that it didn't matter and just cut the pieces out. 

Like the Vera Wang shirt, I used Pellon Shir-Tailor interfacing for the collar and facings.  This blouse doesn't have cuffs, but I did add a strip of interfacing to the sleeve hems.  It will be interesting to see what these interfaced garments will look like after a few trips through the washer and dryer.  If the interfacing doesn't shrink, separate, get all bumpy or have some other as yet unimagined trauma, I will have to consider buying a bolt of the stuff.  It does make a crisp collar.

1 comment:

  1. This looks nice! Can't wait to see how it turns out.