Thursday, March 18, 2010
Jeans - Back
The Bernina, with it's size 18 jeans needle, handled the thicknesses well. No skipped stitches. No complaining. It was wobbly, but due to operator error, not the machine. I didn't mind that this seam sealing stitching wasn't parallel with the first row of stiching. However, what I did mind was how the fabric wasn't turned under well at the yoke seam and at the curve. So, I ripped the stitching out and used tweezers to remove the bits of topstitching thread that were stuck in the layers of denim. Once the seam was cleared of debris, in an attempt to flatten the converging seams, I took a hammer to that area (where the presser foot is in the photo above). I didn't manage to compress the seam, but was successful in compressing my index finger. My advice: skip the hammer.....
Next, I tried a very hot iron with billowing steam. That helped. That, and basting the yoke area and the curve. I then sewed the seam again. It is okay. Not wonderful. Okay.
Before stitching the back pockets, I took denim scraps and played with the various embroidery stitches on the Bernina. I opted for straight lines for this first pair. I can get fancy later.
The front and back need to be sewn together and the waistband attached. After that, the hems. Oh, I almost forgot - the button and rivets. The hammer. I will be careful. I promise.