Sunday, March 21, 2010

Jeans - Waistband

After examining the EB jeans (above), I opted to cut the waistband for my jeans on the lengthwise grain.  The EB jeans have a curved waistband, with the fronts cut on the crosswise grain and the back pieces meeting at the center back on the bias.  If there is interfacing in the waistband, I could not detect it.  The only thing I do not like about these jeans is the waistband.  They are fine out of the dryer - for about 5 minutes.  Then the waist stretches and stretches some more.  If I am unfortunate enough to forget my belt and wear them in public, I am punished by concern that the waist will end up at my knees.  By cutting on the lengthwise grain I am attempting to correct that.  I do like everything else about them.  Perhaps my next jeans project should involve replication.
To reduce bulk, I considered using a lighter weight cotton facing on the waistband instead of the doubled over denim strip. Feeling obligated to match the fabric to the pocket facings (and, admit it - you are tickled by the cats), I figured that if I wasn't lucky careful at the center fronts, the white of the fabric would peek out. So, with full understading, I endanger my remaining size 18 needles.

The waistband was sewn on, using a 5/8" seam allowace on the fronts and tapering to 1/4" at the center back.  I went ahead and cut a strip of the denim for the belt loops and topstitched, per the pattern instructions. It looks nice, but it is four layers thick! A bit much, especially as it will be doubled over to attach to the jeans. I think I need to come up with a thinner version.

No comments:

Post a Comment