Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Ottobre Woman 5/2008 No. 8 – Raglan-Sleeve T-Shirt - Muslin
The serger gave me a bit of trouble when serging with the clear elastic on top. It just didn’t want to go. I turned the fabric over so that the elastic was on the bottom and that made the difference. No complaints and no broken needles.
Normally, I would somehow topstitch on or next to a t-shirt neckband. This fabric is not only thick, there is also the addition of that clear elastic. I opted to hand-tack the sleeve seams to the neckband seam. Everything is the way is should be – flat.
I didn’t put any clear elastic into the side seams or the hems. And, before sewing the hems I had experimented on some scraps. Topstitching was a mess, so I tried the blind hemstitch instead. I had to test several combinations of stitch widths and lengths to come up with one that wouldn’t break the thread when the fabric was stretched a bit. The stitches show on the outside, and they look awful, but the hem is strong and it looks better than the stretched-out topstitching.