Saturday, August 7, 2010

Sommermode Modell 5 – Muslin II

What a difference one size makes! The problems I had with size 46/48 simply disappeared when I made the 42/44. Once I re-traced the pattern, it went together quickly. I did use the side seams of the 46/48 and I added an inch to the hem. The only other modification I made was to create a back neckband. The back neck edge was to be finished with a fabric strip. I couldn’t figure out how that was going to look smart, so I did away with it. I like this pattern and next time I will change the sleeves to 3/4 length.
The fabric is a Lycra knit called “Dryflex." It was a $1.95/yard clearance offering from and purchased several months ago. Though I am not nuts about the color, the fabric quality really is nice. I have a few yards left so you will be seeing it again.
Now, when I go to make a muslin, I tend to choose the size based on the measurement chart included with the pattern. Lately, more often than not, that chosen size is too big and I am not sure why. However, I do know that there are many variables involved in the sizing of a sewn garment. Among them:

• The ease the designer included in the garment
• The ease that I expect the completed garment to have
• The type of fabric chosen

I detest tight fitting clothing and that is why, if I am between measurements, I will pick the larger size. Maybe it is time to reconsider this process.

Anyway, a small triumph and another TNT (tried and true) pattern for the file. Yeah!

1 comment: