Monday, August 30, 2010

Simplicity 4068 – Finished

The pants are finished. I made several attempts at getting a photo that showed the detail without all of the wrinkles. This fabric made fun of my efforts and I finally gave up. Don’t worry. They won’t be worn with a tucked-in shirt. I promise.
Where did the extended waistband tab go? Well, to be honest, it irritated me. And, since it did not serve a vital function, it no longer exists.

For almost a year now, I have been sewing whatever I have felt like sewing. Knowing that the bulk of my wardrobe consists of knit tops combined with simple pants, that is where my muslins have focused. Lately, though, I have been thinking that it is time to get serious and create a plan that will fill my closet with interesting, well-fitting clothes.

I will continue to try out different patterns using the odd pieces of fabric that I have here. These fabrics were specifically purchased to practice on and I have considered it a bonus when I wear something made from them. Even after a year, there are still several pieces left. I am interpreting that to mean that there is still more practicing to be done. I will feel better about buying more fabric once the stacks have gone down.
I want to try a few other pants patterns before I begin putting the Frankenpattern pants pattern together. This Silhouettes pattern, #3600, Ralph’s Pant, has been waiting in the file. It has the requisite front pockets, a fly opening, and a contoured waistband. To make it a fair comparison, there is one more piece of this stretch polyester suiting. This time the color is wine.
As part of getting serious about my wardrobe, I purchased a coverstitch machine. The Ottobre raglan t-shirt with the ugly hems convinced me. That, and a special at Ken’s Sewing and Vacuum Center. It came with all of the attachments, no tax, and free shipping.

I’ll let you know how it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment