Friday, May 7, 2010

Simple Top - New Look 6179

This quilting cotton has been on the shelf so long that I don’t remember purchasing it.  I bet it was bought due to its bargain price and not for a specific project.

I know, if only I kept a fabric log I would have that information.  Responsible sewing people maintain logs, including the purchase date, cost, yardage, fiber content, cleaning instructions and a swatch of each new piece purchased.  I have deliberately chosen to not be so structured by adhering to the KISS method (Keep It Simple, Stupid!).  I purchase only (mostly) machine washable fabrics and thereby eliminate the need to record special cleaning requirements.  And, tell me, how much skill does it take to differentiate between cotton denim and polyester crinkled chiffon?  My fabric storage area is fairly small.  One can simply look at the shelf and know what is in my inventory.  Easy.  The goal is garment creation, not fabric collecting.  Granted, there must always be various fabric choices on hand but I have no intention of ending up on A&E’s Hoarders.

That being said, I have pretty much run out of reject fabric to use for muslins.  I am aware that quilting cotton is for quilts, not clothes.  In spite of this, quilting cotton is the testing choice for New Look 6179,  view C.
I see this simple top as an alternative to a t-shirt.   The pattern was purchased years ago and was used to make several versions for my daughters to wear with jeans.

Luckily, I had traced the pattern when I had used it before and was able to use a much larger different size for me (size 22).
For this muslin, I skipped the front facing piece and inserted wrong-side-out rectangles instead.  They were sewn together at the bottom and the center seam allowances were turned under and topstitched.  Bias rectangles were sewn to the outer edges and a large rectangle added for the bottom portion.  The front was then cut out and sewn to the other pieces.
The neckline casing needs to be attached and a drawstring of some type inserted.  The pattern instructions finish this edge with double fold bias tape.  I am not going to use that as I don’t have any that matches this fabric plus it would add needless bulk.  There is enough of the quilting cotton left to cut a bias casing. I'll see what I have that can be used for a drawstring.  The drawstring will dictate what type and size of casing to make.
The slide plate and the manual (DVD) for the Singer 66 have arrived.  The slide plate fits and the manual has been printed.  Hopefully, it will be sewing soon.
Since bringing the 66 home, much of my sewing time has been spent looking at vintage sewing patterns.  This eighty year old machine is influencing me.  I now want to sew a dress using a 1930’s or 1940’s pattern.  The dress should be wearable in public, but not as a Halloween costume!  I haven’t found a pattern in my size range that I like.  I could do some pattern grading, but I think it will be challenge enough sewing on this unfamiliar machine.  There is no hurry or deadline.  Eventually, a suitable pattern will come my way.

1 comment:

  1. The shirt looks like it's coming together pretty quick! I like that fabric, and I'm looking forward to the final product.

    ReplyDelete