Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Simple Top - Finished

The simple top has been finished.  There wasn’t a cord or ribbon in the stash that could be used for a drawstring.  So, I sewed bias fabric ties to the ends of quarter inch elastic and used that instead.  It works.

The construction of this top is about as easy as it gets and I like that it isn’t big and puffy like other peasant-type sewing patterns.  Not bad for a muslin and I’ll be making this one again.  TNT.
Last week, while pulling together information for the Singer 66, I came across Singer and the Sewing Machine, a biography of Isaac Merritt Singer.  Written by Ruth Brandon and originally published in 1977, it has been around for a few years.  Even though I hadn’t searched it out, I am surprised that I hadn’t heard of it before.  Anyway, I bought my copy (paid about four dollars) from Half.com
I haven’t started reading it yet, but the back cover has piqued my interest:  "Women, booze, illegitimate children, fraud, bigamy, nineteenth-century capitalism, and the emergence of an empire..."  Ah, Tammy's summer spring reading......

1 comment:

  1. what an adorable top - so cute, and the fabric is so pretty. I love the bow - isn't a bow at the neckline such a nice feature? I think it really makes a garment.

    ReplyDelete