This is where I am at with the tunic. The fabric is a washable cotton/silk blend, just like the Simplicity blouse. Obviously, I haven’t sewn too many actual seams yet on the Singer. I've mostly been experimenting with scraps. This machine is handling the fabric well and I am tickled.
Please note that the green towel has been replaced with a Silpat mat from the kitchen. It keeps the machine from sliding around and also serves as an improvised oil drip pan.
A fitting issue is slowing me down. I cut a size 22 tunic based on the pin fitting. After sewing the darts and shoulder seams, I put it on the dress form and it was a sad sight. The bust darts were too low and the front neck was a baggy, wrinkly mess.
Pinning out the additional fabric at the shoulders puts the darts where they belong and also causes the neck droops to disappear. Still, it seems too large in the armscye and side seam areas. The style of the garment is loose, but I'm thinking that it is just too big. I may cut it down to a size 20. That wouldn’t be hard to do. Any size changes would be easier if done now as the front wrap pieces meet, but aren't sewn into, the side seams. Don't be alarmed - I will try it on before anything drastic is done.
I am ready to shop for 403A accessories. Really, a zipper foot is what I am after. Anything else is a bonus.