Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Austin, Texas

Yesterday, I spent the day in Austin with my daughter.  She was very gracious and indulged me by including some sewing related stops.

We started our morning at La Boite Café, located on South Lamar.  The café is made from a recycled shipping container, hence the name.  We went there to be fortified with fabulous coffee.  Of course, floral and fruit infused macarons had to be included.

On the way there, we passed The Common Thread, also on South Lamar.  We were able to go back later in the day.  If you get a chance to visit – do so!  This is an independent fabric store and is tidy and inviting.  The walls are lined with horizontal rolls of fabric.  Loes Hinse and Collette patterns are offered as well as the current issue of Burda magazine.  The fabrics are exceptional.   I didn’t notice any bargains, but what is there is amazing and merits the price tags.

Close to lunchtime, we ended up at Antonelli’s Cheese Shop.  It is located in Hyde Park, on Duvall.  The shop is fairly new and is stocked with artisan cheeses, charcuterie, olives, and other goodies.  Our focus was the cheese.  After sampling, we purchased some wedges of our favorites.  Truly, the best cheeses I have ever had!
We dropped by Silk Road, another independent fabric store.  It is on North Lamar, across from Central Market.  I have passed that little stone house for years, never taking the time to stop in.  Yesterday, we took the time.  To me, most of the fabrics seem destined for formal wear or sofa pillows.  None of it was tempting, probably because I am not currently in need of embroidered bridal silk.

Now, the buttons are another story.  This is the place to go if you want something unusual.  The majority of the buttons are housed in an old glass display counter, grouped in small, antique baking tins.  Our attention was taken, though, by the 1940's pearl buttons that filled a wooden barrel.  We dug, picked and poked until we found two sets.  I have no idea what they will be used for, but they are a souvenir of our day and will be reserved for something special.
By the way, my daughter loved the little bag.  I had made it in the middle of the night, taking the photos as I sewed. The lighting was awful and produced ghastly photos.  Shameless, I posted them anyway.  Here is a better photo, taken later during the day.  Rest assured, there will be another bag sewn and I will strive for higher quality photos.  After all, that cat fabric is calling my name.

1 comment:

  1. There is a store that sells Bernina things here. I thought that would make you smile.

    ReplyDelete