Thursday, February 11, 2010

Frankenpattern T-Shirt







This is a t-shirt that I made a few weeks ago. I have already worn it a time or two. It was very easy to put together and other than the fabric, all that was needed was thread and a few inches of clear elastic to stabilize the shoulder seams. To come up with the pattern, I traced my Bernina My Label t-shirt front pattern piece and, using a ruler, drew several lines from the center front neck edge to the bottom corner, stopping right at the hem fold line. Then, cut, spread and taped the pieces down onto another piece of paper. The bell sleeve was borrowed from Simplicity 4076, morphing the upper sleeve from the My Label tee. I spent about $6.00 on this shirt. No, that doesn't include the My Label software. I spent $299.00 on that. The software expense gets to be spread out long-term and I am not including it. And, how would I? Gentle readers, please let me know as I have no idea how many of my garments will come from this software. To hem the bottom and sleeves of the t-shirt, I used the Bernina blind hem foot, #016. It worked perfectly with this sweatery type fabric. I have used a twin needled to topstitch other t-shirts that I have made and that has worked too. The chosen method just depends on the fabric and how close the thread match is to the fabric. This t-shirt meets the following requirements:
  • It fits
  • It is comfortable
  • It is easy to construct
  • It is needed in my wardrobe
  • It is machine washable
  • It is inexpensive
The sleeve can easily be changed, and as the weather becomes warmer, I can see matching this pattern with 3/4 and short sleeves in many styles. Pants are my biggest challenge. I need business style pants that flatter and are easy to construct. Front pockets are a necessity, as is a fly-front. Both are easy. For the fly zipper, I use Sandra Betzina's method from her "Power Sewing" book. Only, I reverse the directions to have the fly on the right side. I do not include a fly shield. Maybe, in the future.
Off to the fabric store for thread. Here's hoping to 50% off.....

No comments:

Post a Comment