DD#2 came home for a visit. Before, we had talked about sewing her a new denim skirt while she was here. And, as readers of this blog know, we currently have plenty of denim so I felt that I could make that happen.
This was to be an abbreviated visit. I planned ahead and cut the skirt out before she arrived. For the pattern, I chose Vogue 2811, view B (OOP). View A has non-working pockets (why would you bother?) and to me it looked too short to be practical. View B was about the right length but it needed front pockets and a yoke added to the back skirt piece.
It was easy to create the back yoke. I used a French curve to draw the yoke, making sure the line intersected the bottom point of the waist dart, then cut the yoke and skirt pieces apart. I closed the dart on the yoke and added seam allowance to the bottom of the yoke. I also added seam allowance to the top of the skirt piece.
The front pockets were borrowed from DD#1’s Burda 6006 Anita jeans. The back pockets also came from the Anita jeans – but from the pocket pattern I had drawn for the Anita jeans. I simply guessed for the pocket placement. She wasn’t crazy about how high the waist was, so I removed close to an inch from the top of the waistband. It does look better.
Of course, it would have been easier to start with a pattern that already had the features she wanted, but it really didn’t take that long to make the changes. Besides, it was fun; we really didn’t know where this project was heading. The goal was to end up with a skirt that she likes. We did that and now we have a basic pattern that will be used again. DD#1 wants a denim skirt…with that bird, no less…