Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Ottobre Woman 05-2008-01 - Simple-Yet-Elegant Pintuck Dress

As you know, DD#2 had asked me to sew a dress for her.  She went through my Burda Style and Ottobre Woman magazines and chose this pattern.   We traced a size 40. Her fabric selection came from either Fabric Mart or Fabric.com, though I’m leaning towards Fabric Mart.  I don’t know what this fabric is - a cotton Lycra satin twill?  Well, whatever it is, it is lovely and a great match for this pattern.
We put together a quick muslin before the black fabric was cut. That let us know the dress needed to be a little longer. Other than length, no alterations were needed.
After cutting the black fabric, I sewed the dress according to the Ottobre instructions with the exception of the center back zipper.  Per her request, I eliminated the zipper.  And, since there wasn't a zipper that meant I could do away with the center back seam.  I was fine with that, as long as she could get the dress over her head.  The yokes were interfaced with black Pro-Sheer Elegance interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply.  Good stuff!
DD#2 liked this thread color and wanted it for the topstitching on her dress.  To beef it up, I used two spools threaded into one needle and the Bernina, as expected, handled it well.

She loves her new dress and plans to wear it soon even though it is freezing here. This pattern is easy to sew and since the dress also fits DD#1, I know I'll be making it again!

1 comment:

  1. meant to comment when this went up and then got distracted (yes, so shocking i know):

    she is so CUTE!!!!

    Oh yeah. cute dress too.

    There. I feel much better.

    ReplyDelete