Sunday, December 12, 2010

Holiday Top - Simplicity 3634, View B

I bought this paisley stretch velvet from Fabric Mart last December. With the large print, I knew my garment design needed to be basic.  I considered sewing another cowl top like the one I had made at the beginning of November (Vogue 8634), but I haven’t actually worn it yet.  Each time I put it on, I change before leaving the house.  The low neckline just isn’t working for me.  Really, it is modest enough, but if I am uncomfortable, I'm not going to wear it.  So, in searching for another cowl top pattern, I found Simplicity 3634. It is OOP but still available on the Simplicity website.
Before cutting the fabric, I compared the necklines.  The center front neckline on the Simplicity pattern is about three inches higher than the Vogue neckline.  Better, much better! I cut a size 20W except for 22W side seams and shortened the sleeve length an inch, but uncharacteristically, did not lengthen the hem. This top went together quickly and it is partially due to my becoming more at ease with the coverstitch machine. I really appreciate being able to sew stretchy, nice looking hems on knits. Why did I wait so long?
There is still a large piece of the stretch velvet left.  I probably should make something else while the machines are still loaded with black thread...

2 comments:

  1. Cool fabric, great top! Could you wear a black turtleneck under the Vogue one? Or would that be too warm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I hadn't considered that! A turtleneck might be too much, but a tank or camisole might work. I'll try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete