Thursday, September 2, 2010

Brother 2340CV

Why did I wait so long to get one of these machines? Tell me, why?

For months now, my frustrations with hemming knits (using the stretch stitches on my Bernina 930) have grown. Even though the stitches stretch, they do not stretch very much. And, to me, they don’t look like they belong on the outside of a garment. The last straw was not being able to produce a decent-looking hem on the Ottobre raglan t-shirt. I began shopping for a coverstitch machine soon after it was completed.

I have never sewn on a coverstitch machine before and will need to take some time to get acquainted with it. The most notable thing for me, so far, is the stretchiness of the stitching. I have stretched and stretched the coverstitch samples and haven’t been able to break the threads.
Now, before I tackle a t-shirt I need to have some experience binding edges. I tested the double binder last night. I was tired and the result wasn’t pretty. Maybe it will help if I read the instructions…

With this purchase, I feel as if I am leaving 1980’s sewing, even though my scissors still need to be replaced with a rotary cutter and a huge cutting mat. Hey, don’t laugh. It could happen…

No comments:

Post a Comment