Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Jean Jacket – McCall’s 5191

For me, sewing this jean jacket was like reading a novel that you just can’t put down.  I had to keep going until it was finished.  It was such a trouble-free project and everything fit together without any effort – even inserting the sleeves.  No basting, no easing required.  Painless.

The straight seams are perfect for my no-waist body type.  The fit is relaxed and comfortable.  I shortened the sleeves by two inches and deviated from the instructions by placing twill tape into the shoulder seams and I attached the back upper collar (no back neck facing) with machine stitching instead of hand stitching.
For interfacing, I used a light/mid-weight fusible Pellon.  It was interfacing that I have had forever and have repeatedly rejected almost to the point of pitching it.  It worked really well with this mystery fabric.  The buttons came from the stash.

I am looking forward to sewing this pattern again in denim.

No comments:

Post a Comment